Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Green Car Dealership



The other day I was able to tour a car dealership in the final phases of construction. While I was talking with the guy giving us the tour he mentioned that there will be huge cisterns under the parking lot that will collect and store rainwater. This rainwater would then be used for irrigation and for the on site car wash. I was impressed and jokingly asked if the building was going for LEED certification. My guide then told me that they were shooting for Gold. I was surprised, I mean I had never thought of a car dealership as an environmentally friendly building. Inside we saw that a good deal of the wood detailing is bamboo, they have skylights that have lenses that track the sun. These were really cool, the skylights will always ensure that a whole bunch of sunlight gets into the building, but whenever there is not enough light due to storms, eclipses, etc... then a computer adjusts the lights so there will always be ambient illumination. Anyways, the bathrooms also use Airblade technology from Dyson, http://www.dysonairblade.com//?sinavtype=menu. Yes, I know that Dyson makes vacuums but they can make other things, why shouldn't they. And in the mechanics shop they have hoses that you stick on the end of the tail pipe and while people are working on the car the hose sucks the exhaust out and releases it outside. No more carbon monoxide deaths here! I you are looking to buy a Toyota or are just curious to learn more about a LEED Dealership go here. http://www.markmillertoyota.com/index.htm What I want to know is this a vision of things to come? Is this a gimmick to lure in customers with the promise of easing their conscious as they purchase a gas guzzler from a green building? I don't know. I can't afford a car so I might never know.

No comments: