Monday, June 23, 2008

Green Rating, not Green Washing


At my internship I get to do a whole lot of stuff, most of the time. Some days there just isn’t anything for an intern to do: everyone is too busy, there are lots of boring meetings to go to, projects get put on hold, etc… Whenever I am not doing work I get to do research. Yippee! I have already read seven books on company time. The two areas of research that I am delving into are: Green Neighborhoods and plazas here in Salt Lake City. Plazas as a whole are very difficult nut to crack. There are over a bixzzilion variables and reasons why a plaza succeeds or fails. But enough about plazas, today I want to talk a little about green communities. The first thing of interest is the City Creek Center Project here in Salt Lake City, It recently received praises from the Salt Lake City Tribune as a “model for green design”. http://www.sltrib.com/ci_9654826?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com
In the news article it also noted that the City Creek Center is participating in a new Pilot LEED program for Neighborhood Development. Well, I have spent the last couple of weeks reading that Pilot program and trying to understand and summarize it for the office. It is a very interesting rating system, and there are a number of developments across the U.S. that are participating, so if there is one close to you, investigate and tell me all about it. For a list of the projects go here: http://www.usgbc.org/ShowFile.aspx?DocumentID=3546
To view the LEED Rating System go here: http://www.usgbc.org/DisplayPage.aspx?CMSPageID=148
But the USGBC is not the only one attempting to come up with a rating system. In fact the Sustainable Sites Initiative is an organization backed by the ASLA, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, the United State Botanic Garden, and others. They are also in the process of creating a rating system for landscapes. For details and a very interesting amount of information visit: http://www.sustainablesites.org/ I would write more but the office actually has some work for me to do this afternoon. Peace out!

No comments: