Thursday, June 26, 2008

Great Pizza


It was on a calm Saturday afternoon here in Salt Lake City. I had just gotten a call from my good friend James, both of our wives were out of town so we decided to live it up. We went to the movies to see Prince Caspian, good flick, but that is beside the point. In the movie theater there was a pizza place so we grabbed a slice and scarfed it down before the show. After the film James helped me move some stuff into my new apartment and before we knew it dinnertime was upon us. I suggested that we get pizza, real pizza. I had seen a pizza joint on the side of the road and it looked, authentic. Now we had eaten pizza once, so of course we had some reservations about eating pizza again, but like I said our wives were not with us.

Once inside I knew that this place was going to be different. I think I smelled the real wood burning pizza oven before I saw it. It was more than glorious. We both ordered a pizza margarita which is said to be one of the first pizzas ever made in Napoli. The taste was delicious. Everything a flavorful authentic pizza should be without a mountain of cheese to mask the tomatoes, the olive oil, the basil, and the crust. I asked the waitress about how they made their dough, I am a baker at heart, and she explained that the restaurant is certified by the Vera Pizza Napoletana, an organization that dictates the pizzas be made a certain size, with authentic ingredients, and baked in an 800 degree wood fire oven. I watched the pizza being made and it took 2 minutes to bake, and this left the pizza chewy, but charred all along the edges and the bottom. So, if you are ever in Salt Lake City, or Las Vegas visit Settebello. http://www.settebello.net/SLC/main.html Or you can just visit me this winter when I try to recreate that heavenly flavor on the grill outside of Seaton Court. You will need to call for a reservation.

No comments: