Thursday, August 14, 2008

Water wrongs


Me and my wife were watching the news the other night when a story came on that made me think. Before I had talked about the car dealership here in Salt Lake that was capturing rain water from the roof and using it to wash their cars. Well the City has declared such actions illegal. Yes you read me right it is against the law to harvest rainwater in Utah. The reason is that by capturing the rainwater you are denying the people downstream. So by keeping the nasty roof water in Salt Lake they can't use it to water the cotton downstream. I understand the logic but it just seems so stupid. It also makes me mad t0 think that people who are trying to be environmentally conscious and do good things get slapped in the face in the name of bureaucracy. That is just my opinion. In the end the car dealership was able to work out a deal with the city but the city official on the news basically said that people who harvest rainwater on their home to water their grass and garden are breaking the law. When the reporter asked if they would be enforcing this law the official said that they have bigger fish to fry. So, if they are not going to enforce the law why don't they change it so that home owners can collect rainwater legally. Anyways think what you will, I still plan on keeping the rain that falls on my roof for my plants. Geurilla gardening all the way!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

That's silly. Just another example of how red tape gets in the way of being practical. You harvest your rain water! If not it would just fall on the ground and absorb there. So if harvesting rainwater denies people downstream, wouldn't they be okay if they harvested rain too?

Jeanette said...

You better watch out...Uncle Sam might come get you if you try catching snowflakes on your toungue!

Unknown said...

I work on the Website as an intern. Intern life can be rough sometimes even if you're not a snowflake...