Thursday, August 7, 2008

Wasatch Community Garden


On Tuesday we went over to the local Community Garden to attend a workshop on winter gardening. Yes, you can and should grow things in you garden during the winter time. At this point I want to go off on a tangent so if you are really interested in the winter gardening part then skip the small print.

Why can't we all just be normal? I like gardening there is something wonderfully visceral about digging i the dirt and a feeling of wonder and fulfillment when you first see little sprouts popping out of the ground. I like gardening because it connects me in some way to that prehistorical, and medieval, and modern person that ate the food they grew. I believe it is in our basic makeup to grow food. Adam was a farmer. So why is that I feel so out of place when I go to workshops like this? Why is it that me and my wife and this other lass who recently moved from Cali are the only ones who were young and had kids. why is anytime I want to enjoy and learn I am verbally attacked on behalf of PETA or the Vegan Liberation Front? Anyways.

The Garden was interesting, as a landscape architect I am extremely critical when it comes to design. As a human the garden was pure delight, there were sunflowers everywhere. The Wasatch Garden really is a great program. We learned about planting garlic in the fall and covering it with 6 inches of mulch and then in the spring, pop! You have more garlic growing. We also learned how to make hoop houses out of pvc pipe and some cloth. All in all very interesting and when we get back to Kansas we are going to put all of that knowledge to work. First I think we are going to plant peas and lettuce for the chilly months of September and October. Visit Wasatch Community Garden on the web at: http://www.wasatchgardens.org/

or the community, CSA, or farmer's market near you.

No comments: